Tomato and mint chutney is a very delicious, spicy and tangy chutney /dip. It is prepared by cooking and grinding tomatoes, mint, onion, garlic and chillies. The addition of aromatic mint leaves adds a strong flavour and nutritional value to the regular tomato chutney. This chutney pairs well with idli, dosa and many other tiffin varieties. It can also be served as a dip for appetizers.
|Tomatoes||4 medium size|
|Onion||1 medium size|
|Mint leaves||around 20|
|Hing / Asafotedia||1/2 teaspoon|
|Sesame oil or regular oil||1 to 2 teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
- Finely chop the onion and tomatoes into small pieces. Peel the garlic and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, Add garlic and sauté till the raw smell goes away. Now add the chopped onion. Cook until the onions turn transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir the contents well. Keep the flame low. Close the pan with a lid and cook until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add the mint leaves, red chillies, tamarind, salt and hing. Cook for a minute or so until the mint leaves shrink in size. Switch off the stove. Do not overcook after adding mint because mint leaves lose their flavour and nutrition if overcooked. Allow the contents of the pan to cool.
- Transfer the contents to a blender/mixer, grind it to a paste.
- Place a pan on stove, add a teaspoon of sesame oil. Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Pour this tempering on the chutney.
- Serve this chutney with idli /dosa.