Ellu Podi / Sesame Seeds Spice Powder – a healthy and flavourful condiment / chutney powder that pairs well with idli / dosa / steamed rice. Sesame seeds are an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, iron and other vitamins and minerals. Sesame seeds when roasted gives a wonderful aroma and enhances the flavour of the dish. This ellu podi/ chutney powder is a healthy alternative to the regular idli milagai podi / chutney powder and is prepared by dry roasting and grinding the sesame seeds, urad dhal and red chillies. This spice powder has a long shelf life and can be stored at room temperature. This nutrient dense Ellu podi / Sesame seeds chutney powder can be served with idli /dosa / steamed rice.
|Sesame seeds||1 cup|
|Urad dhal||1/2 cup|
|Red chilli||1/2 cup (approximately 10 )|
|Hing / Asafotedia||1 teaspoon|
|Salt||1 to 1 1/4 teaspoon|
- Take a pan, dry roast the urad dhal in medium to low heat. When the urad dhal slightly changes colour, add the red chillies and roast for few seconds. Add salt and hing and give a quick stir. Transfer the contents to a plate.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds until it starts crackling or until it turns golden brown. Transfer the roasted sesame seeds to the plate with urad dhal and red chillies. Allow it to cool.
- Transfer the roasted sesame seeds, urad dhal and red chillies to a blender and grind it to a coarse or fine powder.
- Serve this ellu podi with steamed rice and a dash of ghee or serve this as a chutney powder for idli / dosa.
- Instead of 1 cup white sesame seeds, you can use equal quantities of white and black sesame seeds.
- To add flavour – roast few curry leaves and grind it along with sesame seeds and urad dhal.
- For variation – Replace 1/2 cup urad dhal by 1/4 th cup urad dhal and 1/4 th cup channa dhal.
Check out my other Podi /Powder varieties: