Vegetable Kurma – a South Indian style classic vegetarian side dish for Indian flat breads and other tiffin varieties. This delectable vegetable kurma is a stew of assorted veggies simmered in a thick spicy coconut based masala gravy. The addition of coconut to the gravy imparts a fresh aroma and the freshly roasted / grounded spices gives a distinct flavour to this kurma. This flavourful Vegetable Kurma can be served as a side dish for Indian flat breads like Paratha, Chappathi / Roti, Poori, Appam or other tiffin varieties.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving : 2 -3
|Vegetables/ (chopped)(beans, carrot, peas, cauliflower,potato ) -1 med size bowl|
|Onion – 1 medium size|
|Tomato – 1 medium size|
|Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon|
|Kashmiri chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon|
|Salt – to taste|
|Oil – 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon|
|Coriander leaves – to garnish|
For the coconut masala paste:
|To Roast||To grind along with the roasted ingredients|
|Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 teaspoon||Cashews -6 to 8 (to be soaked for 15 min)|
|Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon||Poppy seeds -1 tsp(to be soaked for 15 min)|
|Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon||Ginger – 1 inch piece|
|Peppercorn – 6||Garlic – 3 cloves|
|Red chilli -1||Green chilli – 1|
|Cinnamon – small piece||Roasted channa dhal (pottukadalai) – 1 1/2 tablespoon|
|Cloves – 3||Coconut (shredded) – 2 tablespoon|
|Cardamom – 3 to 4 pods|
Step by Step Instructions:
- Soak around 6 -8 cashews in 1 tablespoon of water for around 15 minutes.
- Soak 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds in 1 to 2 teaspoon of water for about 15 minutes.
- Chop the veggies into cube size. Finely chop the onion and tomato.
- To make the coconut masala paste : 1) Heat a pan and add all the ingredients in 2nd tabular column in the left under ‘to roast’ – coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns, red chilli, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Just saute` for a minute or so until it gives off some nice aroma. Transfer the roasted ingredients to a plate and allow it to cool. Transfer this to a mixie / blender jar and grind it to a coarse powder.
- 2) To the above grounded spice powder in the same mixie/ blender jar, add all the ingredients mentioned in the 2 nd tabular column on the right – cashews (soaked), poppy seeds (soaked), ginger, garlic, green chilli , roasted channa dhal (pottukadalai) and coconut. Grind it to a fine paste using 1/2 cup water.
- Heat a wide mouthed and heavy bottomed pan and add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon oil. When the oil is warm enough, add the chopped onion and saute` until the onion turns transparent.
- Add the chopped tomato and saute` for few seconds. Turn the heat to low and close the pan with a lid. Cook the contents until the tomato turns soft and mushy. Now add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder. Saute` for 20 to 30 seconds until the raw flavours go away.
- Add the chopped veggies. Mix the ingredients thoroughly. Saute and add little water (1/4 th cup) for the vegetables to cook.
- When the vegetables are half cooked, add the freshly ground coconut masala paste. Mix the ingredients well so that the masala paste is evenly distributed. Add 1/2 cup water and mix well. Add salt. Adjust the consistency of the gravy depending on your preference by adding water. Close with a lid and cook the contents for 10 to 15 minutes until the raw smell of the masala paste goes way.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve this delicious Vegetable Kurma with Chappathi / Roti , Paratha, Appam or other Tiffin varieties of your choice.
- Variation – Instead of oil, use butter for enriched taste.
Check out my other Side dishes / Gravy varieties / Dry Subzis:
- Paneer Bhurji
- Stuffed Tindora / Stuffed Kovakkai
- Gobi Mutter White Kurma / Cauliflower Peas White Kurma
- Panchratna Dhal
- Veg Kolhapuri
- Stuffed Okra / Stuffed Bhindi
- Kerala Style Kadala Curry
- Kale & Black-Eyed bean Curry
- Aloo Gobi
- Vegetable Stew
- Sweet & Sour Pumpkin Curry / Dry Subzi