Poha is flattened rice flakes and is mainly eaten as breakfast in many regions of India. These flattened or beaten rice flakes are very nutritious compared to white rice since it is minimally processed from paddy. It is easy to cook and is light on stomach. It is usually cooked along with spices, herbs and potato. Here in my recipe, I have included cooked green moong and peanuts to add protein to the dish. I have substituted sweet potato instead of the traditional potato as sweet potatoes are more nutritious, have high fibre content, antioxidant rich because of beta carotene. Finally I have added roasted peanuts to get the crunchiness , pomegranate for colour and nutrition, and some coriander leaves. Usually poha is served as breakfast. But the recipe I have prepared is done with utmost care for nutrition and includes protein and fibre and hence can be served as lunch or dinner too.
Cuisine: Indian /Maharashtra
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
|Poha / Flattened rice / Aval||1 1/2 cup|
|Green moong dhal /pasippayaru||1/2 cup|
|Sweet potato||1 medium size|
|Green peas (frozen)||1/4 cup|
|Coconut Oil||1 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|Onion||1 medium size|
|Coconut (shredded)||1 tablespoon|
|Pomegranate seeds (optional)||few|
|Crushed red chillies (optional)||few|
|Turmeric powder||1 tsp|
|Lime or Lemon||1|
- Wash the poha in a colander and drain the water completely. Choose thick poha or flattened rice . The thinner ones on washing becomes mushy. Keep it aside.
- Pressure cook the green moong for about 3 whistles so that grains are separate but well cooked. It should not be mashed as this will give the poha a mashed consistency.
- Wash the sweet potato and steam cook along with the skin. Once it is well cooked, peel the skin and grate the sweet potato .
- Cook the peas and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add coconut oil, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add jeera, finely slit green chillies, chopped ginger and curry leaves. Sauté and add curry leaves, hing.
- Now add finely chopped onion. Cook until the onion is transparent.
- To this add the cooked green moong, shredded sweet potato and poha. Add turmeric and salt. Reduce the flame to very low . Add shredded coconut . If the poha looks very dry, sprinkle little water and close i with the lid. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Garnish the poha by sprinkling some pomegranate seeds, chopped coriander leaves , crushed chillies and roasted peanuts.
- Finally before serving, squeeze one lime on top. Serve with spicy chutney.