Cauliflower pepper fry – a simple everyday vegetable currry / subzi that accompanies well with steamed rice or hot rotis / Indian flat breads. The addition of freshly ground masala powder made with peppercorns and few other spices imparts an aromatic flavour and enhances the taste of this dish.
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Serving : 2
|Cauliflower – 1 medium size|
|Onion – 1 medium size|
|Ginger – 1 inch piece|
|Garlic – 3 pods|
|Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon|
|Salt – to taste|
|Oil – 2 tablespoon|
|Coriander leaves – to garnish|
To roast & grind:
|Peppercorns – 1 1/2 teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds / Jeera – 1 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon|
|Red chilli – 1|
|Cloves – 1 to 2 (optional)|
|Cinnamon – small piece (optional)|
Step by Step Instructions:
- Wash the cauliflower florets and immerse the florets in warm water for about 10 minutes. This step will get rid of any tiny worms in the cauliflower if there are any. After 10 minutes, drain the water and keep the florets aside.
- Chop the onion into thin slices. Crush the ginger and garlic and keep it aside.
- To make pepper masala – Heat a pan and add 11/2 teaspoon peppercorns, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 red chilli, 1-2 cloves and a small piece cinnamon. Dry roast the spices in medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or until it leaves a good aroma. Transfer to a plate and allow it to cool. Grind the roasted spices to a powder. Let the consistency of the powder be in between that of coarse and fine.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tablespoon oil. When the oil is warm enough, add the chopped onion. Saute` the onion until it is transparent. Add the crushed ginger / garlic and saute` until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the cauliflower florets and mix well. Sprinkle some water and close the pan with a lid. Cook until the cauliflower florets are soft and tender. Continue to cook in low flame until all the moisture has evaporated.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix the contents well. At this stage, if the pan is dry, then add more oil ( 1 tablespoon). Cook in low flame until the cauliflower florets are slightly golden brown. If you prefer the cauliflower to be crispier, then add more oil. Instead of oil, you can also substitute butter.
- Now sprinkle 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper masala powder. Mix well and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Store the rest of the pepper masala powder in an air tight container for later use. This pepper masala powder can also be used for other vegetable curries. The shelf life of this masala powder is approximately 20 days to a month.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Check out my other Cauliflower recipes:
Check out my other Dry Subzi / Gravy / Curry recipes: