Ragi or Finger millet is one of the most nutritious gluten-free cereal grain. Traditionally in South India, it is taken in the form kanji or koozh /porridge along with milk. Despite the fact that it is highly nutritious, it is a long forgotten grain like the other millet varieties. With more and more people becoming health conscious, this grain is gaining popularity. Substituting a portion of white rice by this nutrient rich millet in idli/dosa batter is a good and smart way for healthy eating. The color of the idlis may not be appealing to the eyes, but definitely the taste is not compromised.
|Ragi /||1 cup|
|Idli rice||1 cup|
|Urad dhal||1/2 cup|
|Methi seeds||1 tsp|
- Soak the whole ragi seeds overnight or at least for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Add methi seeds to urad dhal and soak it separately for 5 to 6 hours or overvnight.
- Similarly, soak idli rice separately for 5-6 hours or overnight. (For convenience sake, I soaked all the three of them (ragi, idli rice and urad dhal) overnight.
- Drain the water , add the whole ragi to a mixie jar and grind it to a batter . Add little by little water while grinding. The ragi takes a bit of time to grind it to a batter. So be patient and grind it in batches if needed.
- Similarly, grind the idli rice and urad dhal separately.
- Pour all the batter into one bowl. Add salt and mix well with a ladle. The consistency of the batter should be same as regular idli batter. It should not be too diluted as this will give flat idlis.
- Ferment this for about 8 to 12 hours . The batter should rise to get a good texture and volume.
- In the idli cooker/idli moulds, sprinkle some sesame oil or regular oil, pour the batter into moulds and steam cook in the similar way to regular idlis.
- Serve with spicy chutney /Sambar/ Idli mulagai podi
- The ragi has to be definitely soaked overnight for better grinding and digestion.
- Add variation to the above recipe by adding grated ginger, chopped green chillies, chopped vegetables to the batter after fermenting.
nice post …
Thanks for sharing..
LikeLiked by 1 person