Rajma Cutlet / Red Kidney Pattie – a nutritious and delicious starter made with red kidney beans, potatoes and spices. Red kidney beans are one of the healthiest beans since they are packed with protein and fibre rich content. These delectable cutlets / patties can be served as an evening snack / starter or as a healthy vegetarian pattie for burgers.
|Rajma / Red kidney beans||1 cup|
|Potato (boiled and mashed)||2|
|Ginger||2 inch piece|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Kashmiri chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/4 th teaspoon|
|Chaat masala powder||1/4 th teaspoon|
|Corn flour||3 to 4 tablespoon|
|Coriander leaves (finely chopped)||2 to 3 tablespoon|
|Oil||to cook the patties ( 5 to 6 tablespoon)|
- Soak the rajma / red kidney beans overnight. Pressure cook the red kidney beans in enough water for 3 to 5 whistles. The rajma should be soft and well cooked. Drain the water. Let it cool. Transfer the rajma to a blender and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Pressure cook the potatoes with enough water. Peel the skin and mash it well so that there are no lumps.
- Finely chop the onion. Chop the ginger and green chilli and mash it with mortar and pestle or in a blender to get a coarse paste.
- Heat a pan, add 2 to 3 teaspoon oil. When the oil is warm enough, add the finely chopped onion and sauté until it is transparent. Add the ginger-green chilli paste. Sauté until the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the rajma paste and mashed potatoes. Mix well. Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon garam masala and 1/4 th teaspoon chaat masala powder and salt. Mix well. Add 1 tablespoon of corn flour to this and mix well. Cook this in low flame until the raw smell of the masala goes away. Keep stirring until all the moisture is absorbed. Since the rajma and the potatoes are already cooked, the entire process should not take more than 5 to 7 minutes. Switch off the stove.
- To the above mixture add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix thoroughly.
- Allow the contents to cool. Refrigerate this mixture for about an hour or more. This step is not a must but refrigerating the mixture helps in retaining the shape of the patties.
- Take a small portion of the mixture (lemon size) and make a ball. Flatten this between the palms to make a pattie.
- Before toasting the patties, take a plate and spread the remaining corn flour.
- Roll the patties one by one on the corn flour spread so that the cutlets/ patties are uniformly coated with cornflour. Instead of corn flour , you can use bread crumbs too.
- Heat a tawa / pan, and place the patties on it leaving some gap in-between them. Drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoon of oil on each of the pattie and cook until they turn golden brown. Flip on both sides so that all the sides are evenly cooked. Instead of toasting the cutlets, you can shallow fry or deep fry the cutlets too.
- Serve the rajma cutlet / patties with tomato ketchup / green chutney.
- Instead of corn flour, you can use breadcrumbs to roll the patties.
- Refrigerating the mixture helps in holding the shape of the patties.
- To the rajma-potato mixture, you can add grated cheese or grated panner.
- For dietary needs, you can use sweet potatoes instead of potatoes.
I see your blogs, And I notice that you are an best cook💯
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 2 people
Thank you Jyothi
LikeLiked by 2 people