Masala Fries – Indian style homemade spicy & tangy potato french fries. Thinly sliced potatoes are tossed with corn flour and spices , deep fried in oil until golden crisp. These golden munchies are an irresistible snack and can be served for all occasions.
- Potato (medium size) – 5
- Corn flour – 2 tablespoon
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Chaat masala powder (optional) – 1/8 th of teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/8th of teaspoon
- Dry Oregano (optional) – 1 to 2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or more
Step by Step Instructions:
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and peel the skin. Slice the potatoes into strips lengthwise approximately 1 cm thick.
- Soak the sliced potatoes in a bowl of water for about 20 minutes. This step will remove the excess starch.
- Drain the water completely and place the cut slices on a kitchen towel. Let it dry completely. Use another kitchen towel and gently rub it over the cut slices to remove the moisture.
- Meanwhile, heat enough oil in a kadai / pan for deep frying.
- Transfer the potato slices to a wide bowl.
- Add salt, Kashmiri chilli powder, black pepper crushed /powdered, chaat masala (optional) and dry oregano (optional). The above mentioned spice powders will give medium spiced fries. Adjust the quantity of spice powders according to your preference.
- Mix thoroughly using fingers so that the potato slices are uniformly coated with the spice powders.
- When the oil is warm enough, drop few spiced potato slices in oil. Deep fry until the slices are crisp and golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pan with too many potato slices. Do it in 2 -3 batches depending on the size of the pan.
- Serve these delicious and crisp masala fries with tomato ketchup.
- Do not add too much of chaat masala as this will give too much of a sour taste. You can also skip adding chaat masala if you do not prefer sour taste.
- Addition of dry oregano is also optional. I have added it to enhance the flavour. You can either skip adding this or substitute with other dry herbs of your choice.
Check out my other starters / appetizers :
- Thenguzhal Murukku
- Poha Veg Cutlet
- Khaman Dhokla
- Paneer Tikka
- Palak Paneer Bites / Spinach – Indian Cottage Cheese Bites
- Sabudana Vada / Sago Vada
- Rajma Cutlet / Red Kidney Bean Patties
- Mango Salad
- Chilli Paneer
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Masal Vada / Channa dhal Vada
- Goli Baje / Mangalore Bajji
- Aval Pori Nuts Mixture / Puffed Rice & Nuts Mixture
- Crispy Honey Chilli Cauliflower
- Hara Bhara Kebab