Aval mixture is a popular Indian snack made usually during Diwali. The traditional South Indian mixture demands an elaborate process of preparing and mixing different savoury items. This aval port and nuts mixture is very easy to make and is made by roasting and mixing puffed rice or aval & nuts and tossing it with few spices. Apart from aval/puffed rice, I have included various nuts and raisin to make it more nutritional without compromising for taste. The addition of crunchy nuts, sweet raisin and few spices give different flavours and textures to this mixture. This aval and nuts mixture is a simple, crunchy and delicious snack, perfect to munch over while you binge watch TV shows/ web series.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
|Aval pori / Puffed rice||2 cups|
|Conflex||1/4 th cup|
|Pottukadalai (Roasted channa dhal)||1/4 th cup|
|Peanuts||1/4 th cup|
|Badam (Almonds)||2 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Chilli powder||1 tsp|
- Chop the badam/almond and cashews into thin slices.
- In a pan, add 1tablespoon oil, roast the aval pori in low flame. It should not change colour. Roast till the aval port is crisp. Transfer this to a big bowl.
- In the same way, roast the ingredients (conflex, roasted channa dhal, badam, cashews, pistachios, and raisin ) separately. Just roast until it gets warm. Do not roast it until it changes colour. After roasting each ingredient, transfer it to the bowl with aval pori.
- In a pan, add 1to 1 1/2 tablespoon oil, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, reduce the flame to low, add red chillies and curry leaves. Add turmeric powder and chilli powder and switch off the flame. Stir it after switching off the flame. Now to this add all the ingredients kept in the bowl, add salt and mix well (with the stove switched off). Mix well with a ladle until all the contents are uniformly coated with the spices.
- While roasting, be cautious not to burn any ingredient. Keep the flame low. It is enough if you roast until all the ingredients are warm enough to touch.
- While roasting aval pori, roast in low flame until the aval / puffed rice is crisp.
- You can add all the nuts or skip one or two depending on your preference.
Check out my other starters/ snacks: