Drumstick leaves aka Moringa leaves are the power house of nutrition and are becoming more popular and trendy in the food market in the form of dry powders, energy bars and smoothies. There are many ways to incorporate this nutrient dense fresh moringa leaves in the diet. One of the easiest way is to prepare a simple yet delicious and healthy drumstick leaves soup. Soups are hearty and comforting, a preferred appetizer during cold winter months. This power packed nutrient dense soup is prepared by simmering the drumstick leaves along with shallots, ginger, garlic and few other spices. Power up your immune system every now and then by consuming this healthy soup.
Did you know?
- Moringa tree is also called ‘The Miracle tree’ due to its high nutritional value.
- Every part of the tree is edible – the leaves, seeds, flowers bark and roots.
- Research studies have proved that Moringa leaves contain more than 90 different nutrients, including 47 antioxidants and all 9 essential aminoacids.
- Ancient tradition of Ayurvedic medicine claims that Moringa leaves are used in the treatment of 300 diseases.
|Ghee or Oil||2 to 3 teaspoon|
|Drumstick leaves /Murungaikeerai||1 large bowl|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Shallots/ Small onions/Sambar onions||around 20 to 25|
|Turmeric powder (optional)||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cumin powder (optional)||1 teaspoon|
|Lime or lemon juice (optional)||1 tablespoon|
|Crushed pepper||1 to 2 teaspoon|
- Wash and finely chop the drumstick leaves. Chop the tomato to small pieces.
- Grind the the ginger and garlic to a paste using a blender or mash it using mortar and pestle.
- In a pan, add ghee or oil, add cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds sizzle, add the ginger-garlic paste. Stir until the raw smell of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add small onions/shallots and sauté till the onions turn transparent.
- Add the chopped tomato pieces, and give a stir. Close with a lid and cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Now add the finely chopped drumstick leaves, add turmeric powder & cumin powder. Sauté for about a minute or so until the drumstick leaves are cooked.
- Now add 5 to 6 cups of water. Add salt and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of crushed pepper. Taste and adjust the spice level according to your preference.
- Switch off the stove. Add a teaspoon or more of lime juice before serving.
More ideas to include fresh drumstick leaves in your diet:
- Mix it into smoothies
- Add the fresh leaves to vegetable soups or any other soup and simmer along with other ingredients.
- Toss in few drumstick leaves (cooked or raw) to salads.
- Drumstick leaves spicy dip
- Drumstick leaves Paratha / Roti
- Drumstick leaves Kootu – Cook drumstick leaves along with lentils and coconut/ jeera/green chilli paste
- Drumstick leaves Adai – Add chopped drumstick leaves and onions to adai batter.
- Patties / Cutlets – Chop few drumstick leaves and cook them while making aloo or other veggie patties or vegetable cutlet.
- Drumstick leaves dhal – Cook the drumstick leaves along with massoor dhal/ channa dhal/toor dhal and temper it with spices.
- Drumstick leaves Raita
- Drumstick leaves Paruppusili
- Drumstick leaves porial /dry subzi
- Drumstick leaves and lentil subzi
- Drumstick leaves thogaiyal
And much more…………..