Goli baje also known as Mangalore bajji is a traditional Indian snack from the state of Karnataka. It is somewhat similar to bonda varieties and is made with maida or all purpose flour. I learnt this recipe from one of my friend Malini from Uk. The addition of yoghurt makes it soft, tangy and fluffy on the inside and the rice flour and all purpose flour makes it light and crisp on the outside. It is usually served with some spicy coconut or coriander chutney.
Serving: For 2 people
|Maida (All purpose flour)||1 1/2 cup|
|Rice flour||1 tablespoon|
|Plain yoghurt||1 1/2 cup|
|Hing / Asafotedia||1/2 tsp|
- In a bowl, add the maida (all purpose flour) and 1 tablespoon of rice flour.
- Add yoghurt little by little and mix to form a thick batter. Mix well until there are no lumps. The consistency of the batter should be little bit thicker than the vada batter. The consistency of the batter should be in such a way that when you drop it in oil, it should retain its shape.
- Finely chop the green chillies, coriander leaves, ginger and curry leaves.
- Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves , ginger, coriander leaves, salt and hing. Mix well. Keep this aside for about half an hour to 1 hour.
- Heat enough oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- When the oil is warm enough, take a small portion of the batter and drop it in oil. Flip both sides Deep fry until it is golden brown. For the 1st batch, make just 2 or 3 set of Goli bhaji. Follow the instructions given in the notes section below if you do not get the required consistency.
- Repeat the same process for the next batches.
- Serve with spicy chutney.
- If the batter is too thin, it will not retain its shape when dropped in oil. Then add about 1 tablespoon or more of maida (all purpose flour). Mix well and proceed with instructions as given above.
- If the batter is too thick, when fried in oil, it might be too hard to bite. Add 1 tablespoon (or more as needed) to the batter and follow the instructions as mentioned above.
Check out my other starters / snacks
- Aval Pori & Nuts Mixture / Puffed rice & Nuts Mixture
- Crispy Honey Chilli Cauliflower / Gobi
- Hara Bhara Kebab
- Vadai /Urad dhal Vadai
Check out my other Categories:
- Chappathi / Roti / Paratha / Breads
- Chutney / Thogaiyal / Dips
- Desserts / Payasam / Kheer / Other Sweets
- Dhal varieties
- Indo -Chinese Recipes
- Kuzhambu Varieties
- Low carb recipes
- Millet Recipes
- North Indian Subzis/ Gravies
- Podi / Powder Varieties
- Porial/Dry Curry /Subzi/
- Pulav / Biryani / Variety rice
- Rasam Varieties
- Smoothies / Juice / Parfait
- Starters / Snacks
- Thokku / Pickle Varieties
- Tiffin Varieties
- Variety Rice