Paneer Bhurji – scrambled Indian cottage cheese cooked with bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and spices. This paneer bhurji can be served as an accompaniment to Indian flat breads like roti, paratha or bread. It can also be used as a stuffing to make delicious sandwiches and kathi rolls.
|Paneer (grated or crumbled)||300 gms ( 1 medium size bowl)|
|Bell pepper (green & red)||1/2 each|
|Onion||1 medium size|
|Tomato||1 medium size|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Green Chilli||2 to 3|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Kashmiri chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Oil||1 to 2 tablespoon|
Step by Step Instructions:
- Grate or crumble the paneer. Chop the green and red bell pepper into thin slices. Finely chop the onion, tomato and green chillies. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the ginger and garlic to a coarse paste.
- Heat a pan and add oil. When the oil is warm enough, add the finely chopped onion. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the onions turn transparent or light brown. Stir in-between.
- Add the chopped green chillies and crushed ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute in low flame until the raw flavour goes away.
- Add the sliced green and red peppers and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until the bell peppers are tender.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Stir every now and then. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes in low flame until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder and garam masala. Cook for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add the crumbled or grated paneer. Add salt and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not over cook after adding the paneer since this will make the paneer chewy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve paneer bhurji with Indian flat breads or use this as a stuffing to make paneer bhurji sandwich.
- Variation – While adding the spices, add 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder.
Check out my other Paneer recipes:
Check out my other North Indian Subzi/Gravy/ Curry varieties: