Methi Masala paratha is a delicious and healthy whole wheat Indian flatbread. It is an excellent healthy alternative to the usual plain parathas or rotis. Methi leaves, also known as fenugreek leaves are packed with nutrition and when added to wheat flour enhances the taste and flavour. It is made by mixing and kneading the wheat flour with chopped methi leaves, yoghurt and few other spices. Methi masala paratha is traditionally served with yoghurt or dhal / subzi.
Serving: yields 10 to 12 parathas
Preparation Time: 1 to 2 hours
|Wheat flour||2 cups|
|Methi leaves (chopped)||2 cups|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Kashmiri chilli powder||1/2 to 1 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1/2 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 tsp|
|Warm water||to make the dough|
- Wash the methi leaves thoroughly to get rid of the dirt. Finely chop the methi leaves.
- Grind the ginger, garlic and green chilli using a blender or mortar and pestle.
- In a wide mouthed bowl, add wheat flour, chopped methi leaves, yoghurt, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, salt, turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and 3 tablespoon oil. Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients until the wheat flour is uniformly mixed with yoghurt and the masala powders.
- Add warm water little by little and knead it into a dough in the same way as you do for chappathis. Unlike the regular chappathi dough, this requires less water because of the addition of yoghurt. So be mindful while adding warm water. If the dough turns out to be sticky, add little bit more oil, or more wheat flour to get the right consistency. Close this with a lid and let it rest for a minimum of 1 hour.
5. Make small round balls from the dough. Take one round ball, flatten it using your palm, roll it to a round shape using a chappathi roller.
6. In a tava, place the rolled paratha and cook on both sides until you see some brown spots. Drizzle a teaspoon of ghee or oil.
7. Serve the methi paratha with yoghurt or dhal tadka.
Check out my other categories:
- Chappathi / Roti / Paratha / Breads
- Chutney / Thogaiyal / Dips
- Kuzhambu Varieties
- Low carb recipes
- Millet Recipes
- North Indian Subzis/ Gravies
- Payasam / Other category sweets
- Podi / Powder Varieties
- Porial/Dry Curry /Subzi/
- Pulav / Biryani / Variety rice
- Rasam Varieties
- Smoothies / Juice / Parfait
- Starters / Snacks
- Thokku / Pickle Varieties
- Tiffin Varieties
- Variety Rice