Hariyali Poha – flattened rice cooked in green masala paste. Hariyali poha is a delicious and healthy breakfast dish prepared with flattened rice that is cooked along with onions, green peas and green masala paste.
|Poha /flattened rice (thick variety)||1 cup|
|Onion ( medium size)||1|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds / Jeera||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Hing / Asafotedia||1/4 teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 to 2 tablespoon|
|Shredded coconut (optional)||1 to 2 tablespoon|
|Oil||1 t0 1 1/2 tablespoon|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Coriander leaves||1 bunch|
- Wash the poha in a colander and drain the water completely. Keep it aside for 20 to 30 minutes. The moisture on the poha makes it soft. Press the poha between the fingers. If the poha is soft and crushes well then it is ready for use. If not, rinse the poha again with some more water, drain the water and leave it aside for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion. Boil the peas and drain the water and keep it aside. I have taken frozen peas.
- Green masala paste – In a blender, add the green chilli, ginger and coriander leaves and grind to a fine paste. Use little bit of water if needed while grinding.
- Heat a pan, add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon oil. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add jeera, curry leaves and hing.
- Add finely chopped onion and sauté until it is transparent. Add the cooked green peas and saute for a minute.
- Now add the green masala paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the raw flavours of the masala paste goes away.
- Now add poha, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well. Add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon shredded coconut. If the poha is slightly dry, then sprinkle some water and cook in low flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix gently taking care that the poha flakes do not break. Switch off the flame.
- Squeeze 1 to 2 tablespoon lemon juice before serving.
- For variation – Garnish the poha with roasted peanuts.
- For this recipe, choose the medium or thick variety poha. The thin variety poha when rinsed and soaked becomes mushy.